An effective workout works all of your core muscle groups, makes you lose weight and put on muscles while increasing all of your body essentials like hunger and heart rate. For specifically weight loss purposes:
- Interval Training – Any form of exercise where your heart rate spikes and then comes down repeatedly is involved in Interval Training. This generally means going hard for a set interval of time (hence the name), followed by active rest, then going hard again. That active recovery portion is key. You need to take it down a notch before ramping back up to a higher intensity interval.
- Weight Training – Consider weight training the mother of all weight-loss techniques, the highest in the workout food chain, the top of the totem pole. Resistance training, whether it’s with your body-weight alone or with added weights, is an effective method to help build muscle and burn fat. Lifting weights has been shown to increase your resting metabolic rate, which means your body burns more calories even when you’re not working out. The effect isn’t enormous, but building muscle means more muscle mass to churn through calories as you go about your day.
- Boot Camp – For a workout that’s going to keep your metabolism elevated, turn to boot camp, as these classes combine two of the most effective styles of training: interval and resistance. You’ll perform exercises, some more cardio-focused and others strength-focused, full-out for short bursts of time, coupled with short periods of rest.
First off let me correct you, your goal should be Fat Loss and not Weight Loss. Muscle + Fat loss = Weight loss. If you lose muscles you will slow down your metabolism and then you will burn less calories at rest compare to earlier. (Muscle burns 70% more calories at rest than Fat). Losing muscle will eventually slow down you weight loss. This is the biggest mistake I see most of the people make.
The best workout for weight loss is one that encourages you to be the most consistent with it and that you enjoy the most.
The thing is, weight loss is a long term process, consisting of little 1% improvements every day, compounding on the next. If you hate your workout, consistently doing it is going to be so difficult over the long run, and the long run is what matters here.
If you are inactive, any workout can or will make you lose weight. It’s all about spending extra calories and being in a calorie deficit.
But if you want, we can split workouts in 2 categories:
- continuous workouts aka every regular workouts
- High intensity interval training
Regular workouts will make you spend calories as you do an effort to lift weight. When you’re done, the effort stops and so does the need for calories (energy). You do burn a bit more afterwards when you are getting rest and your body needs to recuperate and heal the muscle fibers you’ve broken.
On the other hand you have workouts that use HIIT principles. These workouts work by creating an oxygen debt within your body while working out. And as the Lanisters said, all debt must be paid.
Your body will work extra hard after the workout to pay that debt, making HIIT workouts much more effective for weight loss.
Not a workout… the fastest way to lose weight is a healthy diet. Try these ideas for a week, track your weight and let me know if it worked:
- throw away (or donate) all processed food from your house
- Stop eating grains (rice, wheat, bread, corn..) and all root vegetables such as potatoes etc
- Stop eating sugar
- Eat about 30 g off protein at each meal.
- Have last meal of the day at 6:00 PM
- Eat a lot of vegetables at each meal and eat enough to make sure that you are FULL, so that you aren’t looking for that bag of chips for snack
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water
- Lastly healthy fats such as avocado and coconut oil are ok. Milk is a no but you could have Greek yogurt cottage cheese or heavy cream if u need
All that said – exercise is really good for your overall wellness, building fitness and strength and feeling good in general! But if weight loss is your goal starts with what I said above!!!